Monday, August 16, 2004

Today is my first day of unemployement. I've taken on the daunting task of cleaning my room.

At this moment, Im cleaning out my closet, Eminem style. We've lived in this house for 17 years, and I've never cleaned my closet. Back in the day, cleaning my room meant putting everything in the closet.

I cant believe the things I've saved. Old letters, stories I wrote in elementary school, shoes, pens, a mess kit, my Cabbage Patch Suitcase, tap shoes, jazz shoes, tennis skirts, purses, notebooks from the seventh grade with all of my doodles on it, my Powder Puff jersey, a valentines day card from my first boyfriend (tossed!)...its an endless pit of memories. Even as I sort through everything, I cant believe how many emotional phases I've been through in my little life. Its weird to think that all those bits came from some part of me. And my handwriting?! All fat and curvy, fitting 4 words per line. (Needless to say, I have very neat handwriting now)

I'm sorting through everything. Reading the old papers before deciding if they should be thrown away or kept. I'm throwing more than I'm saving. In order to move forward, I have to let go.

Guess what I've saved the most number of?...Plastic Bags. Not just any plastic bags, but the ones from the brand name stores (Gap, The Limited, H&M, Old Navy). God forbid in high school, if a plastic bag was needed I used a grocery bag, or a bag from KMart!

Yeah. I've come a long way.

No comments: