Thursday, April 15, 2004

Did you pay your taxes?

I had a very disturbing conversation with a male friend yesterday.

To preface about my friend: We are of different religions. I have known him for about 3 years.

After a long time, I saw him online and I said hello. He always asks me about my dating life, so I told him about Cali Law Student Boy and The Optometrist.

More prefacing: I am Indian. Cali Law Student Boy is White. The Optometrist is Indian.

Like I said, I was telling him about these two boys. I was saying how Cali Law Student Boy was really nice, and very supportive. The Optometrist is also nice, but I've talked to him for only a couple weeks, so I dont know him in depth.

Then he asked what race they were, and said that I should stick to The Optometrist because he is 'of my kind.'

He continued saying, "If you dont marry someone of your race, your kids will be confused. You will have to compromise. Your family wont accept him, his family wont completely accept you."

This made me upset. I know race doesnt matter unless you let it. I know bi-racial people who are confused, and bi-racial people who are just dandy. But if the 2 people in question can see past the race and religion, does it matter what everyone around you thinks?

I have friends who are in interracial marriages. They tell me that the in-laws have some issues with them. They dont understand their language. Cultural differences. Sometimes these things pose a problem, but the husband and wife in question are perfectly happy.

I think if a religion or culture is THAT important to you, one should make sure that they find someone who understands that or is willing to understand that. If someone has tons of good qualities, but they are just of a different race, you're losing out for not taking the chance.

People have told me that I'm idealistic in my view points.

I know I make sense.

No comments: