Monday, February 28, 2005

I had a HUGE 'first' on Saturday.

HUGE!

GI-NORMOUS!

With CLS Boy and one of my dear friends as witness.

I still can't believe I did it....

What did I do, you ask?....I held a cat for the first time.

Don't worry. I'm ok.

I am not an animal person by any means. I love doggies and cute animals, but I don't ever want to be a pet owner. I like to travel, and I wouldn't feel right leaving them alone. I also do not know how to groom an animal. And my mother has instilled in me that pets=cleaning=extra work=me not taking good care of pet.

I've never been around animals much. My friends have lovely little creatures as pets, but as they were/are not mine, I have no reason to pick them up. I love giving them treats and petting them, but thats as far as our relationship would go.

CLS Boy loves cats. My friend loves cats. I've never picked one up, so my friend told me to try on her cute little 18-pounder cat. I didnt know what to do. I did not want to pick up the cat in the wrong way so she'll flail her paws about, and possibly try to scratch my eyes out everytime I visit. I didn't want to dislocate her tail or leg.

I was still nervous to pick her up. So I put on my nice, padded winter gloves to protect myself. After being berated by my friend and CLS Boy, I took off the gloves and CLS Boy semi-picked her up and I tried to move my hands in a position that would not harm my friends cat. Somehow the cat was placed in my arms. Since the cat was an 18-pounder, I had to sit immediately.

Everyone was proud of my accomplishment, and we even took a picture to commemorate the moment. I was happy to hold the cat (especially since she didn't hiss, bite or scratch me), although I'm still trying to get the cat hairs off my jacket.

No comments: