Sunday, March 20, 2005

ARGH!

That is all I have to say.

I am a victim of Tremendous effort leading to bad luck.

U2 tickets went on sale this weekend. Now I have never been physically present to ever buy concert tickets, so I wasnt sure what to expect. Last time I found out they were touring (I saw them during the Elevation tour), I was in India, and I emailed my friends to see if they could get tickets. Sure enough, one did.

Moving on...

Tickets went on sale at 10am, Tasha and myself headed over to our nearest Ticketmaster location around 8:30. We find out that there is a lottery for buying tickets. This means, they hand you a raffle ticket with your number on it, and this little ticket basically decides your fate. I had no idea this was how it was done, but ok, now I know.

We were standing in line, in a row, since we figured lottery meant they draw all the tickets and thats how we form the line.

Here is the dictionary.com definition of lottery.

Did you notice the word RANDOM in that definition? I did.

When this so-called 'lottery' time came up, the manager of the store picked ONE number (not so lucky for me, it was the ticket for the last people in line, and we were one of the first), and started lining up people in a sequental order. The last number was ticket number 590006, and the next person in line was 590007.

This went on until the latter numbers were done, and then he began lining up the earlier numbers. What was my number? 589089.

Needless to say, the latter half of the line was in an outrage, trying to tell him the definition of lottery. If I knew that was his definition of lottery, I would have had one of us stand in the back.

We knew we weren't going to get tickets, and we tried calling ticketmaster to no avail, and tickets were sold out in 30 minutes. The reason why it took so long? Jimmy Buffet tickets were on sale at the same time, so people were snatching those up too.

I was bummed, because I felt like I got robbed. If the "Lottery" was the way I assumed lottery to be, I would have felt a little better if my particular ticket was chosen last. But no. My fate was in someone else's hands.

I know there are many worse things in life than this (like Gonzaga losing to Texas Tech yesterday in the NCAA basketball tournament), and I know my life will go on, but I hate it when my fate rests in others hands. ARGH!

No comments: