Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I currently go to school in a small city. It revolves around 3 colleges, and there are things to do, but you just have to find them. Its not like NYC where all you have to do is wake up and you'll find something interesting.

I have lived 20 minutes away from this small city for the majority of my life. Life has always been how it is.

Now being in grad school, surrounded by people who went to school in such places as Boston, Chicago, Philly, Richmond, and Taipei, people turn to me to vent about the small city.

"What is there to do here?"

"Is there anything to do here?"

"Everytime I go out in this city, I miss Philly more and more."

"How have you lived here for so long? You must like it."

"The weather sucks here. The shopping sucks. Everything sucks. Its so boring."

I did not build this city. Jefferson Starship did.

I never know how to respond to the complaints. Im not the town mayor. I go around, I find things to do. At the same time, it doesnt take much to entertain me. Most people in my class are between the ages of 23-26. While I still love to go out, going out with the youngin's is a little different. They're always looking for more. The school provides activities, but the students in my class seem bored by them. I dont understand how they feel because I have different things to do on a daily basis.

I think they could try more to make the best of what's around. It is hard to come here when you've been in a big city for 4 years, or your whole life. I cant help them either. My idea of fun has changed a lot in a couple years. So I know the age difference wont help them in finding the fun they desire.

Im sure when graduation rolls around, there will be a collective sigh of relief when they receive their diplomas and book their plane tickets.

No comments: