Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I'm not one to get political on my blog, but today is a very important day.

I was online with a good friend of mine who lives in New Jersey this morning. We were chatting about her daughter, and I told her how I was excited to go and vote.

She asked me who I was voting for.

"Kerry!" was my enthusiastic reply.

She told me that her husband went to his home in New York just so he could vote. For Bush.

Fine, I thought. To each their own.

Then she proceeded to tell me how no one in her church would vote for anyone who believes in same sex marriages and partial third trimester abortion. (I didnt know there was a debate on partial third trimester abortion either)...then she told me that all Kerry knows how to do is talk on and on.

I agreed with her on the partial third trimester abortion bit. But the fact that someone would base their vote on the basis of same sex marriages was appalling. I first found it sad that there are people who dont want to promote love, and second, is banning same sex marriages going to provide more jobs, end the war, boost the economy, and bring health care out of the toilet?

I promptly got offline with her and went to exercise my right to vote.

*which I should say was a great experience. I felt very powerful. It was great to see people in the town come together for the hopeful benefit of our country. The best part was the voting was held at my old elementary school. I can't believe how many years have gone by and how my concerns were so different then. The world was outside my realm.

No comments: