Thursday, May 03, 2007

I am a good friend. I am a good friend during happy and sad times. Although lately, I have encountered the same situation where I don't think I am being as good of a friend as I should be.

Divorce.

I have friends who are getting divorced. 2 in particular.

I don't know what to say to them. I don't say much, and just like each wedding is different, so is each divorce.

Divorce sucks. Both friends have been married about 3-4 years too. Both divorces involve children. Both friends talk to me. I don't know what to say.

My friends do have solid reasons for divorce. One friend's husband has a gambling problem, and the other friend's in-laws are somehow turning her husband against her and the situation is becoming unbearable for her. Although he is willing to make sure she does not get their child.

I don't know anything about divorce firsthand, and for that I am lucky. But they are turning into a lot of drama and I want to support them in the right way. I find myself speechless half the time, giving these half-hearted sounding, "Things will be alright" when even I don't know. I don't want my friend who is a stay-at-home-mom (No income) to worry about providing for her child and pay a lawyer. I want their husbands to wisen up and things to get better for them.

1 comment:

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

Indeed divorce sucks. When I hear the word, it reminds me how lucky I am...but how hard we worked at it. Relationship is just another word for sacrifice. But with every sacrifice comes a greater gift. I wish, sometimes, people would remember that the harder work comes after the wedding. I wish the same for your friends that you wish for them. I wish that for everyone who goes to the trouble to say "I do".