Saturday, December 16, 2006

So taking care of my niece has been interesting. Even though she isn't MY child, the elite club of mothers have let me in to their world. Since I have a perspective of temporary motherhood, I thought I would share some things I've learned.

1. It will suck the life out of you. (What a way to start)
2. When you love it, you will really love it.
3. Many moments which were once your own to deal with, are now transferred to your child.
4. Most of the time, you won't mind.
5. You don't get a day off. If you need a day off, it's scary because you can't get it. Kid needs to be fed, bathed, and you have to play with them.
6. It's fun playing with them.
7. I do NOT know how a single parent does it. Driving them to lessons, making dinner, helping them with school stuff, working...there are so many hours in a day!
8. You wonder why people continually want to mess up the world. Why is our Education system flawed? Why dont we have universal health care? Why isn't there stricter gun control measures?
9. Some things that you think will bother them, won't.
10. The things you think won't bother them, might.
11. It's fun watching them grow.
12. You may have to repeat the same thing over and over again for months at a time. This is the 4th month of school, and everyday I have to tell her to eat, brush her teeth, and to hurry up because the bus comes at the same time everyday.
which leads me to...
13. Sometimes it can get routine.
14. You get even angrier at the parents who don't raise or take care of their children properly.
15. There will be many proud moments, big and small.
16. Patience is a real virtue.
17. In a weird way, you relive your past. Sometimes you hear yourself saying things just like your parents did. This may be good or bad, and sometimes even you remember how you felt when they said those things to you. Good and bad.

Those are only a few. I think the one thing people forget is that when they dream about having children, it's a fleeting thought and you have this perfect scenario in your head. It's hard to picture it everyday. Even with work, you're done at the end of the day. With parenting, you're never done.

I have to admit, I like it. I thought I would hate it, as much as I love my niece. It's hard to raise a girl. She is in kindergarten and there is already drama. haha. I love watching her spell. "Fonimbr"=Phone Number. Yeah, and did I mention you will learn how difficult it really is to learn the English language?

No comments: