Sunday, October 24, 2004

I had a rough week last week. I was really down, even my roommate was concerned. The thing was, I could pinpoint exactly what was bothering me. I just didnt know how to come out of my funk.

I knew I wanted something from someone. I wanted help. I didnt know how to get it, and who to get it from. I wanted to hear what I needed to hear. Although I myself couldnt define what that was.

Throughout the course of the week, I was given different kinds of advice from various advisors:

1) Advice from a budding psychologist who analyzed why I was behaving the way I was, and what I need to do to change.

This didnt work.

2) Motherly advice (not from my mom, but from a friend who spoke to me with a motherly tone)--This advice was filled with support, with a sprinkle of advice, and a side of what necessary things I need to do to make myself better.

This didnt work either.

3) The Fragile advisor-- Who spoke to me like I was going to break, and like they would break if I didnt feel better.

If you know me at all, this is NOT the way to talk to me when I'm down.

4) Random advisor who asked me if I was ok and to keep my head up.

5) The Dr.Phil-in-your-face-advisor--Oh you're having trouble with that?!...well, how's that working for you?!

The winner:

My friend in class who is a 2nd year student. She spoke to me like a normal person, giving me advice from a person who understands even just a little. I didnt think I would find what I needed to hear, but she was so honest and sincere and gave me the wisdom I needed to pick myself up. The best part was I didnt even have to go in depth of why I was frustrated.

I guess you cant always count on the same people to give you advice all the time. You cant guarantee that they will tell you what you need to hear. Sometimes cliche is not what I want. Logically its easy to tell yourself some cliches. I'm usually good at picking myself up. I couldnt do it this week. I knew I needed help. I didnt know what to say or who to say it to. I didnt know who to reveal myself to. I didnt want to reveal myself. But with my 2nd year friend, I didnt have to. I said one sentence. I didnt even expect to open myself up in any way, but the words started flowing.

There are times when it takes a different kind of person to tell you the words you need to hear. Even if its someone who doesnt know me that well. She was someone who read into me or something. I dont know what it was. I'm glad the words clicked in my head. I'm thankful.

No comments: